Bicyclist Injured by Hit-and-Run Driver, Deputies Seek Damaged Vehicle

A bicyclist was injured by a hit-and-run driver Sunday in Calimesa, and deputies were looking for the driver and a damaged vehicle, a sheriff’s sergea

Steven M. Sweat‘s insight:

Bicyclists are victims of hit and runs more than any other roadway user in California (second only to pedestrians).  If you are operating a motor vehicle in the Golden State and strike a person riding a bike and choose to leave the scene, you are subjecting yourself to criminal prosecution. California Vehicle Code 20001 states: “(a) The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to a person, other than himself or herself, or in the death of a person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident and shall fulfill the requirements of Sections 20003 and 20004″.  Section 20003 applies if the crash results in injury or death to the cyclist and requires the following: “20003.  (a) The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person shall also give his or her name, current residence address, the names and current residence addresses of any occupant of the driver’s vehicle injured in the accident, the registration number of the vehicle he or she is driving, and the name and current residence address of the owner to the person struck or the driver or occupants of any vehicle collided with, and shall give the information to any traffic or police officer at the scene of the accident. The driver also shall render to any person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including transporting, or making arrangements for transporting, any injured person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that treatment is necessary or if that transportation is requested by any injured person.”  CVC 20004 further requires the following: “

20004. In the event of death of any person resulting from anaccident, the driver of any vehicle involved after fulfilling therequirements of this division, and if there be no traffic or policeofficer at the scene of the accident to whom to give the informationrequired by Section 20003, shall, without delay, report the accidentto the nearest office of the Department of the California HighwayPatrol or office of a duly authorized police authority and submitwith the report the information required by Section 20003.For more information of hit and run bike accident claims in California go to:

See on

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s