A woman, 47-year-old Anna Caldwell, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of driving under the influence and felony child endangerment.
The facts of this case, as reported, are as follows:
- Woman gets behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol with her child in the car as a passenger.
- Woman slams into motorcylce on PCH in Malibu, CA and strikes biker and his dog riding on the back.
- Motorcycle rider is almost killed but, survives.
Legal Analysis: This woman is looking at (as well she should be):
- DUI charges (with enhancements for causing bodily harm and property damage).
- Felony child endangerment under California Penal Code 273a
Potential criminal penalties for these combined offenses include state prison time.
This is a stark reminder that one bad decision when it comes to drinking and driving and causing a car accident can last a lifetime. Think twice before you get behind the wheel after drinking!
See on malibu.patch.com